Flat roofs are often necessary and more affordable than the alternatives. The only problem can be to be certain they do not leak. You could spend a lot of money to have an expensive material professionally applied, or reconstruct the roof to have a slope. On the other hand, you could apply a quality roof coating at a fraction of the cost. Here’s a list of the eight best roof coating for flat roof designs. The list begins with less expensive solutions and then progresses to more costly suggestions for the best roof coating for flat roof designs.
1: Lanco 5 Gal. Siliconizer Elastomeric Roof Sealer Reflective Waterproof Coating
Lanco has a series of roof sealer products that claim to promote energy efficiency. The color is a clear white base that dries to a light silver tint. This does reflect the sun. Therefore, it reduces the room temperature under the roof. Siliconizer Elastomeric Roof Sealer Reflective Waterproof Coating is very a popular choice for best roof coating for flat roof products.
- Excellent coverage rating at 50 square feet per gallon, to protect against moisture and leaks.
- This waterproof coating can be reinforced using a polyester or fiberglass type mesh.
- Drying time for Lanco roof sealer is less than an hour, and it is ready for additional coats in less than four hours.
- Many people report that it takes several coats to completely stop moderate leaks.
- The fast drying time is helpful, but it means you must work quickly and only open small amounts of the sealant at a time.
Cost = $80.18 (5-gallon size on eBay).
2: Roof Sealer 5 Gal. Ultra-Siliconizer Surface Membrane Sealant Heat Reduction
The second product is another roof sealant manufactured by Lanco. If you pick the Ultra-Siliconizer Surface Membrane Sealant Heat Reduction option, it adds a dense seal. The membrane effect after this sealant dries helps to reduce surface heat. Also, it enhances the energy efficiency of the building or structure under the roof.
- This sealant has a 78% solar reflective rating, reducing the heat underneath the roof dramatically.
- As you apply the product, it dries quickly, changing color to make it easier to visually see your progress.
- It has a strong and durable dried finish that is resistant to mold and mildew.
- The warranty only covers the product itself and does not cover the finished job since factors like weather and workmanship can affect the final result.
- A somewhat messy product to apply with a roller or brush, and clean up can be challenging.
Cost = $125.86 (5-gallon size on eBay).
3: Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant – Original Black – 5 Gallon
The third product in the best roof coating for flat roof designs is the Liquid Rubber sealant that is less expensive than other similar products. Also, it is available on Amazon. Liquid rubber is a waterproof-rated sealant. It is black and rolls on like a liquid tar substance. Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant is excellent for outbuildings, barns and other structures with a flat roof.
- Easy application liquid that rolls on evenly and dries in less than 24 hours.
- Affordable product, making it a reasonable option for almost any waterproofing project.
- The liquid can also be applied with spray equipment, covering up to 30 square feet per gallon.
- Black is the only color, which produces a less than optimal level of energy efficiency, plus it becomes sticky in intense heat.
- Most reviews indicate it requires not only the second coat to seal leaks but often takes multiple coats.
Cost = $149.95 + Free Shipping (5-gallon size on Amazon).
4: Ames MSS5 Maximum Stretch
Ames manufacturers a product line that includes some of the best roof coatings for flat roof purposes. The Ames MSS5 Maximum Stretch choice is affordable and efficient. Furthermore, it has a rubber component that makes it excellent for flat roofs that are exposed to the intense heat from constant sunlight.
- Elasticity from the rubber content makes this an excellent choice for roofs that may experience a great deal of expansion and contraction.
- Coverage ratings are excellent, as much as 100 square feet per gallon.
- This is a non-toxic water-based solution for easy cleanup.
- Since it is a water-based product, it could leak some solution into the structure. Be cautious when using on roofs that cover valuables.
- If you use this on metal roofs or roofs that have bleeding issues, it will require additional coats to completely cover these types of problems.
Cost = $163.81 (Free Shipping on Amazon).
5: GacoRoof 5-Gallon Gray
GacoRoof offers different levels of protection in their product line for best roof coating for flat roof designs. The GacoRoof 5-Gallon Gray is just that, a basic roof sealant that comes in generic gray.
- It is a silicone-based product that helps to reduce, and eventually eliminate leaks.
- The large 5-gallon container gives you enough product to either add a second coat or cover a great deal of roof surface area.
- Best roof coating for flat roof price in the 5-gallon container, with free shipping.
- More liquid than more expensive options, therefore many reviews indicate it requires a second, even third coat to completely stop leaks.
- Boastful warranty claims, which are not consistently supported by customer reviews.
Cost = $268.88 + Free Shipping (5-gallon size on Amazon).
6: Gaco Gr1600 5g GacoRoof Silicone Roof Coating
The next option for best roof coating for flat roof designs is another 5-gallon, silicone-based product from GacoRoof. The Gr1600 Silicone Roof Coating is a white version of the 5-gallon gray. It costs a few dollars less, but is applied the same way and contains the same general product ingredients as the GacoRoof gray.
- White color that is better than the gray version for improved energy efficiency.
- Can be used in all climates, as Gr1600 Silicone Roof Coating will not freeze.
- Unlike the 5-gallon gray, this product comes in a more convenient 1-gallon option for smaller roofs, or as a handy supply for spot repair.
- Durability was questioned due to shrinkage that reopened small leaks.
- The contents of the large-size, 5-gallon container developed a film on top that had to be discarded.
Cost = $260.72 + Free Shipping (5-gallon size).
7: Rubberseal Liquid Rubber Waterproofing and Protective Coating
Rubberseal Liquid Rubber Waterproofing also provides a protective coating layer. It has little or no odor and has a self-healing quality, which makes it excellent as a choice for best roof coating for flat roof projects.
- Has a highly protective quality that makes it cost appealing for buildings any type of leaks could be harmful to the contents below.
- Rubberseal liquid rubber has an extremely strong EPA Energy Star Rating and is resistant to aging from intense UV exposure.
- It’s a water-based sealant for easy cleanup but dries as a rubber membrane for tremendous waterproofing qualities.
- More expensive than other products, and has a lower rate of coverage – 60 square feet per gallon.
- Some reviews indicated it dried with off-white, almost yellowish color, not the true white that is shown on the product container.
Cost = $274.99 + Free Shipping (5-gallon size on Amazon).
These are eight of the best roof coating for flat roof structures. All are listed here in 5-gallon size, but most also come with smaller, 1-gallon alternatives. Moreover, each product has some positive attributes that may make it more appealing to your needs.
In conclusion, gauge how useful each one could be for your flat roof coating needs by where your roof is, what type of building it protects, and how critical it is to seal securely in as few coats as possible.